MCG Executive Briefing for April 7, 2017

A Bugatti Type 49 Roadster with coachwork by Labourdette of Paris is among the early consignments for the 2017 Bonhams Greenwich auction on June 4. Get all the latest auto industry news in the Executive Briefing. 

 

 

Today’s headlines:

+   The U.S. auto industry turned in an underwhelming performance in March as sales slipped to 1.56 million vehicles, a 1.6 percent decrease from the same period last year. More at USA Today. 

+   Buick has unveiled the Opel Insignia-based 2018 Regal Sportback hatchback and Regal TourX crossover wagon, both of which will appear in showrooms in the fourth quarter. More at Motor Trend. 

+   The share price of Tesla Inc. surged at mid-week, pushing the electric automaker’s market capitalization past that of the Ford Motor Co. and close to GM’s. More at CNBC.

+   Former FBI Director Robert Mueller III has been chosen to oversee the disbursement of nearly $1 billion in restitution in the Takata air bag case, the largest recall in U.S. history. More at the Detroit Free Press. 

+   Ferrari boss Sergio Marchionne says that the Italian carmaker needs to be involved in the Formula E racing series to complement the advancing hybrid technology in its road cars. More at Racer. 

+   Ford Motor Co. plans to introduce two locally built electric vehicles in China, starting with the Mondeo Energi plug-in hybrid sedan in early 2018. More at The Detroit News. 

+   Opel, now owned by PSA Group of France, has committed to produce Buick-branded vehicles for General Motors in its German factories beyond 2019. More at Automotive News Europe. 

+   A Bugatti Type 49 Roadster by Labourdette will be offered at the 2017 Bonhams Greenwich auction in concert with the Greenwich Concours, where Bugatti will be the featured make. More at Sports Car Digest. 

+   At the New York Auto Show, Alfa Romeo will unveil the base and mid-range Ti models of the Stelvio all-wheel-drive crossover alongside its top-of-the-line Quadrifoglio. More at Automobile. 

+   Ford Performance director Dave Pericak says the company has no plans to compete in Formula 1 and did not attend the recent FIA engine supplier conference. More at Motorsport.com. 

Review the previous Executive Briefing from April 3 here.

Photo courtesy of Bonhams.  

Have you joined Mac’s Motor City Garage on Facebook? It’s lots of fun with rare photos, car lore, trivia, and great discussions. Click here to go the page and join MCG. Be sure to check out our companion Facebook page MOTOROLOGY, too.

2 thoughts on “MCG Executive Briefing for April 7, 2017

  1. Yawn. Another bellybutton slicked up piece of plastic. When is someone going to buck the current trends and come out with an afforable car that doesn’t look like everything else on the road? Very little on the market right now that I would even consider if I was in the market for a new vehicle.

Leave a Reply